Should I file a Claim for Damages or a Claim for Refund? A Claim for Damages can be filed if you feel that you have lost money or property as a result of any action or inaction by the City. A Claim for Refund pertains to monies already paid to a City department that you are seeking to have returned.
FOR INFORMATION ON FILING A CLAIM: CONTACT THE LAW DIRECTORS OFFICE- (419) 755-9659
1. Gather the necessary information/evidence to help support your claim.
2. Contact the Law Director's Office for information on filing an official claim. You will be asked to complete a statement to file with the Law Director's Office. You may attach any evidence you have with your statement.
3. The Law Director's Office will investigate your claim.
4. You will be asked to speak/provide testimony before the Claims Committee as determined by the Chairman of the Claims Committee. There are (3) members of the Claims Committee.
5. The Claims Committee will then make a decision whether to approve or deny the claim.
6. If your claim is approved: City Council will vote on the claim during the following (in 2-weeks) City Council meeting.